Occupational Health and Safety
Red Deer Polytechnic (RDP) is committed to a health and safety program that protects our employees, students, contracted vendors, and suppliers working on our campuses, as well as the general public. We also wish to protect our facilities and the environment.
The Polytechnic's Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Program applies to all individuals who attend our campuses for any purpose. The Polytechnic's OHS Program is a common framework that we use every day to identify, evaluate, and manage health and safety hazards throughout the entire organization.
Our institution's commitment to safety is in accordance with standards outlined in the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act, Regulation and Code.
Red Deer Polytechnic’s objective is to prevent injuries and property damage in all working and learning environments and with our overall operations. This will be achieved by creating a working and learning atmosphere in which health and safety is implemented in everyday operations.
All employees are responsible and accountable for RDP’s health and safety performance and will provide leadership for the institution's health and safety program. Employees will be familiar with the requirements of the health and safety program as it relates to work processes. This will be achieved by:
- promoting a work and learning environment based on employee and student involvement, teamwork, education, training and commitment.
- promoting the philosophy that safety is a value associated with every priority.
- recognizing group and individual achievements.
- treating everyone with dignity and respect.
- ensuring all OHS regulatory requirements are met.
Red Deer Polytechnic is responsible for the health and safety of employees, and this is achieved through actively encouraging employees to participate. Our organization will provide health and safety education and tools so all employees are aware and understand their responsibilities.
The Polytechnic's OHS program includes the following elements:
- Workplace Roles, Responsibilities and Rights
- Hazard Recognition, Assessment and Control
- Safe Work Practices
- Workplace Inspections
- Incident Notification, Reporting and Investigation
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Health & Safety Committee
- OHS Program Review/Revision Process
The OHS Program Manual documents the basic structure of Red Deer Polytechnic's OHS program. This document also outlines general employer and employee responsibilities related to health and safety with more specific requirements and practices documented within RDP’s Safe Work Practices (SWPs) and supporting Programs.
Questions? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Regulations and Plans
All contractors shall meet Red Deer Polytechnic's health and safety requirements, Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) and OHS applicable acts, regulations and codes.