Ashley Moore Ph.D.
Dr. Ashley Moore specializes in molecular genetics, with a focus on the organization, expression, and evolution of genes. In particular, she is interested in small ribonucleic acid (RNA) molecules and protist genetics. She has experience in both experimental and computational research. Ashley has been teaching introductory biology and genetics courses at Red Deer Polytechnic since 2014, with science education being her true passion. Ashley encourages her students to pursue research opportunities and supervises those who wish to participate in independent research projects. Outside of the classroom, Ashley enjoys being involved in science outreach activities and hopes to help increase scientific literacy in the community. She was born and raised in Red Deer and is a proud RDC alumna.
Ph.D. (Biomolecular Science), University of Lethbridge
B.Sc. (Biology, Honors), University of Lethbridge
Introductory Cell Biology, Introductory Genetics, Molecular Genetics
- Hudson, A.J., McWatters, D.C.,Bowser, B.A., Moore, A.N., Larue, G.E., Roy, S.W., & Russell, A.G. (2019). Patterns of spliceosomal intron structures and spliceosome divergence in representatives of the diplomonad and parabasalid lineages. BMC Evol Biol, 2(1), 162. doi: 10.1186/s12862-1019-1488-y.
- Moore, A.N., McWatters, D.C., Hudson, A.H., & Russell, A.G. (2018). RNA-Seq employing a novel rRNA depletion strategy reveals a rich repertoire of snoRNAs in Euglena gracilis including box C/D and Ψ-guide RNAs targeting the modification of rRNA extremities. RNA Biology. doi.org/10.1080/15476286.2018.1526561
- Hudson, A.J., Moore, A.N., Elniski, D., Joseph, J., Yee, J., and Russell, A.G. (2012) Evolutionarily divergent spliceosomal snRNAs and a conserved non-coding RNA processing motif in Giardia lamblia. Nucleic Acids Research, 40(21):10995-11008.
- Moore, A.N. and Russell, A.G. (2012) Clustered organization, polycistronic transcription, and evolution of modification-guide snoRNA genes in Euglena gracilis. Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 287:55-66.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Characterization of small nucleolar RNA repeats and other non-coding RNAs in the protist Euglena gracilis. 10th Annual RiboWest Conference (2014)
- snoPatrol: Characterization of snoRNAs in the protist Euglena gracilis. RiboClub – National videoconference based in Sherbrooke, QC. (2013)
- Elucidating the function of small nucleolar RNAs in Euglena gracilis using an RNA-silencing approach. 2nd Annual Biology Graduate Research Symposium, University of Lethbridge. Awarded 1st place oral presentation. (2013)
- Utilizing small nucleolar RNA interference (snoRNAi) to elucidate snoRNA function in Euglena gracilis. 8th Annual RiboWest Conference. Awarded 1st place oral presentation. (2012)
- Volunteer with 'Red Hot Science' Outreach Workshops through RDP
Volunteer with the Alberta Science Network (ASN): development and delivery of science demonstrations for local schools
- Volunteer with the Central Alberta Regional Science Fair (CARSF): judge of science fair projects for local students
- Interested in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Ongoing collaboration with researchers at the Alberta RNA Research and Training Institute focusing on the analysis of genomic information from single-celled organisms
Professional and/or RDP Leadership
- RDP Faculty Performance Committee, 2020 - present
- RDP Biosafety Advisory Committee, 2015 – present
- RDP Annual student Science Conference Organizing Committee, 2015 - present
- RDC Student Awards Selection Committee, 2017 - 2019
- RDC Science Outreach Committee, 2015 - 2018
- RDC Program Development Committee, 2015 - 2016
- Undergraduate Biology Educators of Alberta
Association of Biology Laboratory Educators
Awards and Honours
- National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship - Ph.D., (2012-2015)
- Government of Alberta Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship (2009 & 2012)
- NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship - M.Sc, (2010)
- Graduate Student Entrance Award, University of Lethbridge (2010)
View Our Campuses
Get to Know Us
View our Faculty & Staff Biographies