Health Care Practice and Management
Enhance your theoretical nursing knowledge and clinical skills in the Canadian context with this comprehensive and applied two-year learning experience. Take a deep dive into management and organizational structure in a health care environment and prepare to be a leader within Canadian health care organizations.
This two-year Career Development Diploma prepares internationally educated nurses to integrate their prior education into the Canadian health care environment and take on management or leadership roles. Explore foundational business and management concepts and learn how to apply them to challenges faced by both public and private health care organizations.
Graduates of the program will be perfectly positioned to lead their organization in achieving business and strategic goals. The importance of critical thinking and significance of cultural diversity are both emphasized in this immersive and dynamic program. Graduates will also gain valuable strategies for completing the regulatory examination process for professional certification in Canada.
Graduates of the program will possess a strong theoretical knowledge base and will have completed a review of all relevant practical skills within their scope of practice. Critical thinking, communication, and cultural diversity are emphasized throughout the program. This program will prepare graduates to go through the regulatory process for licensure in various health care fields including Licensed Practical Nurse and Registered Nurse.
Blended – first year online learning, second year on campus learning
$13,500 per year
Post graduate Diploma
Applicants must meet the following entrance requirements for admission into the program:
- Have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a recognized institution
- Be currently registered as a Registered Nurse (RN) in good standing in their country of origin
- Have a minimum of 1125 hours of nursing experience within the last four years prior to application
English Language Proficiency (ELP)
If English is not your first language:
- IELTS score of 6.0 overall with no sub‐test score less than 5.5 or equivalent
- Applicants from India overall IELTS 6.5 (No band below 6.0) or equivalent
|English for Nursing||160|
|Variations in Health I||80|
|Health Care Policies in Canadian Provinces||140|
|Health Care Law||180|
|Variations in Health II||180|
|Maternal, Newborn & Pediatrics||100|
|Critical Thinking & Leadership||80|
|Strategic Planning in Health Care Organizations||80|
|Human Resource Management||40|
|Ethical Considerations in Health Care Management||40|
|Mental Health Nursing||100|
|Nursing Preparation Review||120|
|Variations in Health III||180|
All learners should budget approximately $700 for classroom resources. Learners will be provided with a list of textbooks to purchase upon registering in the program.
Program Completion Requirements:
Learners must successfully complete all coursework and assessments within each course. See individual course outlines for specific completion requirements.
How to Apply
- Download the application form here.
- Submit the completed application and all required supporting documents to the Division of Extended Education extended [dot] ed [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (by email).
- Once your documents have been reviewed, you will be contacted by Red Deer Polytechnic to pay the non-refundable application fee ($120 for domestic students or $150 for international students).
- Once your application is approved, you will be contacted with a conditional acceptance letter and further information on how to pay for you full program tuition.
You have questions, we have answers. Contact us by extended [dot] ed [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (email) or call 403.356.4900
View Our Campuses
Get to Know Us
View our Faculty & Staff Biographies