More Program Information
Agora Undergraduate Conference
RDC's Agora Undergraduate Conference showcases student work completed in Humanities and Social Sciences, Social Work, and Justice Studies classes, bringing together RDC's diverse community in celebration of student excellence. Students have the opportunity to share the results of their coursework with a public audience.
Social Work Diploma
Once it has been determined that you have met the academic requirements, you will be mailed a package of materials which includes the various requirement:
Volunteer / Work Hours:
A minimum of 100 hours of volunteer experience is required as part of the Social Work Application Process. Work-related experience can also be used in lieu of volunteer experience. Please check with our department to ensure it is applicable. The hours must be current, and completed at one organization, as one confidential reference is required from the direct volunteer or employment supervisor.
It is required that these be completed in a
- human service agency/organization, or
- social service agency/organization, or in a
- healthcare environment.
The clients must be disadvantaged or marginalized in some way. The volunteering must include direct client or patient contact as your primary function (rather than office work, cooking, etc.) and deal with the client’s psycho-social wellbeing.
If you have any questions about the suitability of your volunteer experience please email the socialwork [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (Social Work Department).
Opportunities can often be found in
- helping agencies,
- outreach organizations,
- hospitals (depends on type of work),
- programs for at-risk youth,
- women’s shelters,
- long-term care facilities (depends on type of work),
- agencies for people with addictions, homelessness, mental illness, and who are mentally challenged.
We do not accept hours completed
- as part of high school work experience program;
- sports coaching;
- daycare (exception is a day care in a women's shelter);
- foodbank / meals-on-wheels;
- educational aide (exception is for children who are coded);
- before school/after school programs/lunch supervision (exception is for children who are coded);
- personal experience such as having a sibling with autism or having foster children in the home;
- office/administrative work; and
- bible or church group and activities.
It is required that the 100 hours be completed at one organization, but note that more than the 100 hours can be beneficial in the interviewing process.
Employment experience can also be used in lieu of volunteer experience (please check with our department to ensure it is applicable). The hours must be current, and completed at one organization as one confidential reference is required from the direct volunteer or employment supervisor.
A complete application package must include the following:
- a personal profile;
- three confidential reference request forms, and one needs to be signed by a direct volunteer or employment supervisor;
- a minimum of 100 volunteer or work hours completed at one agency site.
How you will get an Interview:
Forward your complete application package to the College. If your completed package is received by February 15, you will be invited for an interview to be scheduled before April 30, with a decision about admission after May 1. An interview with a Social Work faculty member is required as part of admission to the Program. Your work or volunteer experience must be completed or almost completed prior to your interview with a Social Work faculty member.
While not an admission requirement for the program, applicants are advised that most agencies where they will be placed for practicum experiences will require a
- Police Information Check, and
- Vulnerable Sector Check.
Students should be prepared for approximately $50 to $75 in extra expense to acquire these documents.
The existence of a criminal record may prevent practicum placement, program completion, and professional licensure and therefore affect future employment prospects. It is the decision of each agency or institution to accept or reject a student for placement or observation experience based on the results of the criminal record check.
For more Information:
Email: socialwork [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca